Tuesday, May 08, 2018

May evening

I'm sitting in my backyard typing up a cheat sheet for junior high students performing Finian's Rainbow. It's a cool show, with singable, stylish songs originally from 1947, but it's not one of those shows where the story is thoroughly integrated into the songs. So it takes a little studying to know what comes next. The kids won't know it, but putting together the cheat sheet about who has to be where is as much for my benefit (I'm the director) as for theirs.

It's almost dark and the birds are singing good night. It's only my second night outside this spring. People walk their dogs. Just watched a man in a dress shirt use the flashlight on his phone to help pick up dog poop. High tech, low tech--we're all these things these days. If this were a fancier, newly remodeled backyard, I'd probably have a charging station coming up out of the ground underneath my patio umbrella. Alas, I don't, so this will be a short post.

I think I hear a rotary, push mower going a couple yards over, speaking of low tech, or low-tech nostalgia. I tried one of those for a summer, then bought a new electric mower.

It's good to be out in the spring air. With sounds. the occasional neighbor walking by, soft, quiet darkness.

It was a long winter. It is a much-longed-for spring.

No comments: